My father and his friends put power steering in his '46 CJ2A in 1970-71 or so. These days, the steering had a LOT of play. Most of this seemed to come from the universal joint that attached to the steering box. Replacement seemed doable, even for me. The U-joint was super difficult to remove from both the steering shaft and the steering box staff. Five decades, I guess.) I had to remove the steering box to get some room to work at removing the U-joint, and the Pitman arm, for that matter. When I finally had everything apart, I'd discovered more of my Dad's mysterious home-made, hodge-podge engineering (of which there is so much on this Jeep): -- A quarter-inch of one end of the U-joint had been sawn off, for no obvious reason. (Photo 8030) -- On the upper end of the U-joint, the 3/4-inch round sleeve fit over a 3/4-inch round shaft (No splines, no welds, just a slight flat spot for the set screw. Seems wrong, but it lasted five decades). (Photo 8009) -- The splines on the steering box input shaft had all been intentionally ground down to accept the 3/4-inch round U-joint. Also, the very end of the shaft was sawn off, for no apparent reason. (Photo 8000) I went ahead and bought a rebuilt steering box (Saginaw 5691676, $139). The shaft is 13/16-inch diameter, with 36 splines. I could find U-joints with 3/4-inch round sleeves for the upper connection, but not with set screws. They are supposed to be welded. I don't weld, so I ordered a U-joint with a 3/4-inch DD sleeve, then ground down two sides of my steering shaft. (Photo 8029) I kinda like the silver-gray powder-coat (I assume) finish on the new steering box, so left it. (Photo 8026) Note Dad's fabricated mounting plate. Bottom line: It works. My Jeep will never steer like a sports car, but all that sloppy play is gone.